You will need
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Strawberry jam
- Strawberries, Chopped,
- Whipped Cream.
- Icing sugar and Lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line the base of two 20cm round cake pans.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour and milk until just combined. Divide mixture evenly among the prepared pans and use the back of a spoon to smooth the surface. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for about five minutes before turning on to a wire rack to cool completely. Place one cake on a serving platter.
- When cool, spread the jam evenly on top of the base sponge, then spread the whipped cream over that and then the chopped strawberries. Place the top sponge on top.
- You can take the lazy option and sprinkle some icing sugar on top or you could go to the effort of combining about 6 table spoons of icing sugar with 2 table spoons of lemon juice to form a thick icing and spread it on top. Place something nice on top, like a flower (make sure she doesn't eat it) or a strawberry!